top of page

Protective Orders

Domestic Violence Victim's Assistance

Domestic Violence Victims Assistance Services

If you are in fear for your safety, call 911.

Legal Aid can represent victims of domestic violence regardless of income or legal status. Intakes for orders of protection can be done at the Matheson Courthouse, West Jordan Courthouse, the Family Justice Center, or online. Intakes are done on a walk-in basis, no appointment is necessary. Bring any police reports or evidence of the abuse to the intake. All domestic violence services are provided free of cost. Legal Aid can represent Petitioners in protective orders, child protective orders, dating violence protective orders and civil stalking injunctions cases.


Unfortunately, we cannot help Respondents in these matters.



Legal Aid can represent victims with cases in Salt Lake County. Generally, at least one of the parties must live in Salt Lake County or the incident must have occurred in Salt Lake County. For child protective orders, Legal Aid can represent Petitioners in district court if there is an existing divorce or custody case with the opposing party, otherwise, you will be referred to the juvenile court where a clerk can assist you to file a child protective order.

Utah Cases Outside of Salt Lake County

If your case cannot be filed in Salt Lake County but can be filed within the state of Utah, contact Utah Legal Services for non-profit services or the Utah State Bar to find a private attorney.


Matheson Courthouse

Mon-Fri 8am to 5pm

450 South State Street

Room W-17

Salt Lake City, UT 84111

(801) 238-7170

West Jordan Courthouse

Mon-Fri 8am to 5pm 
8080 S Redwood Road
Room 2501

West Jordan, UT 84088

(801) 233-9740

bottom of page