Required Documents for Divorce and Parentage (Custody) Cases


Want to jump-start your application? The following documents must be submitted with your application for Legal Aid representation for your Divorce or Parentage (Custody) case. You should gather these as soon as possible, as to not delay your processing time.


We can accept these documents as a PDF, fax, or a hard copy by mail or hand-delivery to our 205 N 400 W, Salt Lake City, office.

Please note that we cannot accept cell phone pictures of your documents.

Do not submit original copies. All documentation received is destroyed.  

Copy of your income tax returns or income tax transcripts for the last two years (or) verification from the IRS that you did not file in a given year. You may obtain this information by visiting the

IRS Get Transcript Page.

Copy of your pay stubs for the last year, beginning with your most recent employer. You may need to contact the HR Department of your current or former employer(s) to obtain this information.

Copy of bank statements of all your accounts for the last year.

Copy of all government benefit statements: TANF (welfare), SSI, SSDI, Social Security (or) the reason you cannot obtain them.

Proof of income documentation for all people in your household over the age of 18 (or) indicate a a reason why you are unable to fulfill this request.

Copy of Medicaid cards for you and your children.

Copies of any legal papers that apply to your case (a paternity order, a child support order, a protective order, or any other legal documents).

Copy of your Social Security card.

Color copy of your drivers' license.

Signed cover letter (the firsts page of the application).

Financial Declaration (included in your application--be sure that your income matches your expenses, and do not leave any lines blank!).

If born in the United States, provide a copy of your birth certificate, passport, or citizenship documents. If you are not a US citizen, and if you do not qualify for our Bridge the Gap program, please provide documentation that you are legally  in the US, such as a permanent resident visa, work visa, student visa, U visa, T visa, etc.. If you have applied to adjust your residency status, you must provide a copy of the filed application.